If you follow us on Twitter, you probably noticed that we were pretty busy today as a bunch of different Yanks decided to score goals between league play and preseason friendlies. Well, here is a little rundown on what happened.
* Josh Gatt came off the bench and scored a goal for Molde FK in their 2-1 loss to Viking, although Gatt had to leave the game early with a thigh injury (highlights here).
* Terrence Boyd made his official debut at Rapid Vienna and walked away with two goals, one assist and one near goal off a bicycle kick as Rapid Vienna won 4-0 (highlights here).
* Herculez Gomez kicked off his 2012 Apertura with the game-winning goal in Santos Laguna’s 2-1 victory over San Luis (highlights here).
* Matt Taylor has returned to the German 3. Liga and scored a goal in Preußen Münster’s season-opening victory over Wacker Burghausen (highlights here).
* Over in Finland, Christian Eissele scored his eighth goal of the season in Kemi Kings’ 2-0 victory over TP-47.
* And in Iceland, Evan Schwartz scored his second goal of the season in Víkingur Reykjavík’s 3-0 win over BÍ / Bolungarvík.
That is just the goals in league play. A couple other Americans scored in preseason friendlies today.
* Both Maurice Edu and Alejandro Bedoya scored for Rangers as they won 5-1 in a closed-door scrimmage against Albion Rovers.
* Joe Gyau has been playing well Hoffenheim this preseason and notched another goal in a 2-0 win over SV Waldhof Mannheim. Here is a photo of Gyau from the game.
And while some guys didn’t score, some younger guys took a bigger step today.
* Will Packwood went the full 90 minutes in Birmingham City’s 2-2 draw to Borussia Monchengladbach in a friendly (highlights here).
* Royal-Dominique Fennell made his senior team debut for Stuttgarter Kickers in their 2-1 loss to Hansa Rostock to start up the 3. Liga season (highlights here).
* Both Alfredo Morales and Anthony Brooks played 90 minutes in Hertha Berlin’s 3-2 win over Norwich City in a friendly.