It wasn’t pretty, but the US won 1-0 and advanced to the quarterfinals. As for some quick thoughts from me:
- Hey Jozy, where has that been?
- Steve Cherundolo and Eric Lichaj looked good on the flanks.
- Clint Dempsey did not have a good game shooting. And the team as a whole was awful at finishing.
- The team in general looks tired.
- Hopefully Lichaj continues to emerge at left back as Carlos Bocanegra brought a calming presence to the middle of the backline.
- Landon Donovan had another pretty quiet game. How bad was his “illness” from last week?
- Granted it had a lot to do with the competition, but US Soccer is fun to watch when they are attacking that much (and even better when they score!).
- That stadium looked and sounded great. A potential place to have US-Mexico in the future?
Howie was in attendance, so I am eager to hear his thoughts once he gets back. Here are the highlights.
Now for some links/recaps/reviews/player ratings from around the web.
* US Soccer game recap [US Soccer]
* U.S. advances with head-shaking win against Guadeloupe in Gold Cup [SI.com]
* Steve Davis’ player ratings [SI.com]
* Grant Wahl’s three thoughts [SI.com]
* Jeff Carlisle’s player ratings [ESPN Soccernet]
* Greg Seltzer’s player ratings [MLSsoccer.com]
* Snap Judgements, USA vs. Guadeloupe [The Shin Guardian]
* U.S. 1-0 Guadeloupe: Analysis and Player Ratings [The USA 10 Kit]
* USA sinks Guadeloupe with Altidore rocket [Soccer America]
Fun fact of the game: Jozy Altidore is now tied at 12 goals in 12th place in U.S. history with Carlos Bocanegra, Frank Klopas, Eddie Johnson and Clint Mathis.
The US will next play Jamaica on Sunday at 3 PM EDT at RFK Stadium. If they win, they will play the winner of Panama/El Salvador.
Thoughts on the game?