A lot more numbers to throw your way after the US’s 4-1 win over Cuba on Saturday.
* With the win, the US has now won seven in a row, tying the longest winning streak in the USMNT history. The US also won seven in a row in 2007, which overlapped with them winning the 2007 Gold Cup. The teams they beat during the streak in 2007: China, Guatemala, Trinidad & Tobago, El Salvador, Panama, Canada and Mexico.
* The seven-game winning streak is also the longest active streak in the world among teams ranked in the FIFA Top 25.
* The US has now scored 4+ goals in three straight games for the first time ever. The US has also scored 16 goals over its last three games, tying the record for most goals scored over a three-game span (also done in 1993).
* With the win, the US is now 27-1-2 all-time in the Gold Cup group phase.
* The US came back from a 1-0 deficit to beat Cuba on Saturday. It was only the third time in 10 all-time meetings that the US has trailed against Cuba. The US fell behind 1-0 to Cuba in a 2005 Gold Cup match before coming back to win by the score of 4-1 as well. And the US also trailed and lost to Cuba, 5-2, in 1947.
* Chris Wondolowski has been the MVP for the US through two games of the tournament. In fact, his five goals through two games is already the most goals scored by an American in a single Gold Cup.
* Wondo has now scored six goals over his last three games after failing to score goal in his first nine career games with the USMNT.
* Including his goal against Guatemala, Wondo has scored six goals in 2013. Since 1991, scoring 6+ goals in a calendar year has happened only 15 times (including Wondo in 2013) and he has done it in only four games.
* Landon Donovan has also done well in recent games. Besides becoming the first player in USMNT history with 50+ goals or 50+ assists, he scored his 15th career goal at the Gold Cup on Saturday, extending his own record.
* And this one comes from Paul Carr of ESPN, if you just take his 15 career penalty goals, those would be tied for the 10th most in USMNT history.
* Donovan has scored four goals in 2013, his most in a calendar year since he scored five in 2009. And he has scored a goal in three straight games for the first time since the 2010 World Cup.
* Should Donovan or Wondo score again in the next game, they would tie the US record for goals in consecutive games at four straight, something Jozy Altidore matched (and his streak is still active until he plays again) earlier this year. Donovan has scored in four straight games twice before, once in 2005 and another streak in 2007.
The following two tabs change content below.
Matt likes soccer. He likes sleeping in. He is also amused easily. That is pretty much it.