Jozy Altidore and Clint Dempsey both had big weekends. Jozy notched a hat trick, while Clint scored in stoppage time against Manchester United (and ended the two week drought on our goal tracker). The two Americans have been the top goal scoring Yanks in Europe over the past two seasons and here is what they are up to numbers-wise after this weekend’s action.
* Jozy Altidore’s 14 league goals in 2012-13 are tied for the second most in the Eredivisie this season, while his 29 league goals since the beginning of last season are the fourth most in the Eredivisie over that time frame.
* Saturday was Jozy Altidore’s second hat trick in Eredivisie play in his career. Other Americans with hat tricks in the Eredivisie include Earnie Stewart (twice) and Michael Bradley. Steven Goff (and his readers) put together an unofficial list of American hat tricks in Europe back in 2010 when Benny Feilhaber recorded one for AGF Aarhus. Since then, I can think of Jozy’s two for AZ, Matt Taylor against Rot Weiss Ahlen in the German Cup in 2011-12, Matt Taylor against Werder Bremen in the German Cup in 2012-13, Mike Grella with four goals against AFC Bournemouth in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy in 2011-12, Clint Dempsey against Charlton Athletic in the FA Cup in 2011-12 and Clint Dempsey against Newcastle United in 2011-12.
* Saturday was also Jozy’s ninth multi-goal game in league play since joining AZ. Here is where that ranks among players in the top-flight leagues in England, Spain, Italy, France, Germany, Portugal and the Netherlands in league play since the beginning of the 2011-12 season.
* While he has five multi-goal games in league play in 2012-13.
* Jozy Altidore and Wilfried Bony are the only Eredivisie players with 14+ league goals in 2011-12 and 2012-13 so far.
* Moving onto Clint Dempsey. Dempsey scored against Manchester United for the second game this season. Since 2008-09, only five players have scored in both games against Manchester United in a single Premier League season: Clint Dempsey (2012-13), Demba Ba (2011-12), Robin van Persie (2011-12), Frank Lampard (2010-11) and Fernando Torres (2009-10). And Deuce’s goals against Manchester United this season come after he went scoreless in his first nine career PL games against the Red Devils.
* With Dempsey notching his fifth league goal of the season, he is now one of six players with 5+ PL goals in each of the last six seasons.
* Dempsey now has 55 career goals in Premier League play, 23rd most among active players and 11th most since he scored his first career PL goal against Liverpool on May 5, 2007. It is sort of hard to find an accurate all-time list in the Premier League era (since 1992-93), but from what I can find, Dempsey’s 55 goals would be tied for the 63rd most.
* Of Dempsey’s 55 league goals, they have come against 23 different teams. He has failed to score against the following teams in Premier League play: Arsenal (12 games), Hull City (4), Swansea City (3), Blackpool (2), Sheffield United (1), Burnley (1), Derby County (1) and Fulham (1).
* And of his 67 goals in Europe across all competitions, 14 have come in the month of January, his most for any single month.
The following two tabs change content below.
Matt likes soccer. He likes sleeping in. He is also amused easily. That is pretty much it.