We had a couple other goals from Wednesday. Daniel Stevens scored his sixth goal of the season in BK-46′s 1-0 win over SalPa in Finland. And in Swedish Division 2 (fourth tier) action, Lester Dewee scored his first of the 2013 season in Bodens BK’s 3-2 loss to Morön. And you can follow along with our goal tracker.
Jonathan Spector has re-signed with Birmingham City. And he apparently “spurned” some Premier League interest to re-sign with the Championship side.
Since Oka Nikolov is headed to MLS, Steve Cherundolo is now the longest-serving active one-club man in the Bundesliga.
Want a photo album of random Clint Dempsey photos from the last 10 years? Here you go.
Tuesday’s USMNT game against Honduras drew a 0.7 rating, which isn’t too bad since it was up against one of the better NBA Finals games in a while (Game 6 of the 2011 NBA Finals is still the best ever and I am only saying that as a Dallas Mavericks fan).
Not that we didn’t already know this, but Michael Bradley is important to the USMNT.
According to this Portuguese report, Tony Taylor may be headed to Cyprus side AC Omonia. They would be playing in the second qualifying round of Europa League next season.
Junior Flores is headed back to Germany to train with Borussia Dortmund’s U-19 team in July.
Stuttgarter Kickers has extended Royal-Dominique Fennell’s contract through 2015. Fennell appeared in only 12 games for the German 3. Liga side in 2012-13 due to a groin injury.
Paolo DelPiccolo is still on trial with the Montreal Impact since returning from Germany and recently played in a reserve league match.
USF left back Ben Sweat went on some trials in Europe last summer and he is at it again. Another Reading United player, Patrick Slogic, is headed to Austria to train.
According to the Mirror (so you know it is 100% true!), Tottenham and Bolton are interested in 18-year-old goalkeeper Charlie Horton. According to this youtube video from a couple years ago, he was born in England but grew up in the US and was/is committed to North Carolina.
Royal-Dominique Fennell went the full 90 minutes and scored his second goal of the season in Stuttgarter Kickers’ 3-0 victory over Osnabrück. Here are the highlights, including his goal (around the 3:18 mark).
If you follow us on Twitter, you probably noticed that we were pretty busy today as a bunch of different Yanks decided to score goals between league play and preseason friendlies. Well, here is a little rundown on what happened.
* Josh Gatt came off the bench and scored a goal for Molde FK in their 2-1 loss to Viking, although Gatt had to leave the game early with a thigh injury (highlights here).
* Terrence Boyd made his official debut at Rapid Vienna and walked away with two goals, one assist and one near goal off a bicycle kick as Rapid Vienna won 4-0 (highlights here).
* Herculez Gomez kicked off his 2012 Apertura with the game-winning goal in Santos Laguna’s 2-1 victory over San Luis (highlights here).
* Matt Taylor has returned to the German 3. Liga and scored a goal in Preußen Münster’s season-opening victory over Wacker Burghausen (highlights here).
* Over in Finland, Christian Eissele scored his eighth goal of the season in Kemi Kings’ 2-0 victory over TP-47.
* And in Iceland, Evan Schwartz scored his second goal of the season in Víkingur Reykjavík’s 3-0 win over BÍ / Bolungarvík.
That is just the goals in league play. A couple other Americans scored in preseason friendlies today.
* Both Maurice Edu and Alejandro Bedoya scored for Rangers as they won 5-1 in a closed-door scrimmage against Albion Rovers.
* Joe Gyau has been playing well Hoffenheim this preseason and notched another goal in a 2-0 win over SV Waldhof Mannheim. Here is a photo of Gyau from the game.
And while some guys didn’t score, some younger guys took a bigger step today.
* Will Packwood went the full 90 minutes in Birmingham City’s 2-2 draw to Borussia Monchengladbach in a friendly (highlights here).
* Royal-Dominique Fennell made his senior team debut for Stuttgarter Kickers in their 2-1 loss to Hansa Rostock to start up the 3. Liga season (highlights here).
* Both Alfredo Morales and Anthony Brooks played 90 minutes in Hertha Berlin’s 3-2 win over Norwich City in a friendly.
Royal-Dominique Fennell has played with Stuttgarter Kickers’ reserve team in the Regionalliga the past three seasons, but he started, went the full 90 minutes and picked up a yellow card in his senior team debut, a 2-1 loss to Hansa Rostock in the 3. Liga. Here are the highlights.
I am still catching up on life (and I really should be in bed right now), but here are some various links of random things from the last couple days.
Congrats to Clint Dempsey for scoring his 50th Premier League goal of his career this past weekend. As I posted a month ago when he was sitting on 49, only seven active Premier League midfielders have scored 50+ goals in their career, so Dempsey is #8 (with only Tim Cahill doing it in fewer games).
Caleb Porter has added three players to the U-23 camp roster (Matt Lampson, Brian Perk and Royal-Dominique Fennel), while two players (David Bingham and Gale Agbossoumonde) have withdrawn from the camp due to injuries.
The U-23 camp has started up in Carson today and it looks like they will play two scrimmages against the USMNT before heading to Costa Rica next Wednesday for games there against Alajuela and the reserves of Deportivo Saprissa.
Also, I have heard some rumblings that the USMNT will play one of its first qualifiers in the LA area (likely Home Depot Center). My guess would be the game against Antigua and Barbuda in June, but that is just a rumor at this point.
And one non-USMNT link, but Brian Sciaretta has an interview up with Villyan Bijev over at the NY Times Soccer Blog.
Soccer America has a two-part Q & A with Jurgen Klinsmann: Part 1 | Part 2
Speaking of Klinsi, Jon Levy over at The Yanks are Coming has a funny flow chart on how Jurgen makes his USMNT roster selections.
Moving on to the U-23 team, Brian “I know the family tree of any player in Germany” Sciaretta introduces us to defender Royal-Dominique Fennell. He was probably one of the few guys on the U-23 camp roster that people know the least about.
Two more players from teams bounced from the MLS playoffs were added to that U-23 camp. The lucky winners (or losers from the MLS playoffs): Teal Bunbury and Luis Gil.
And finally, here is a local TV story on Josh Gatt. That first highlight of him in high school, he just makes the opposing team look silly.
Wanted to get these in before the weekend (and tonight’s baseball game).
Bill Hamid is headed to England to train with West Bromwich Albion. Some of you might remember Jurgen Klinsmann saying that he wants players in MLS to be playing more year round since the competition is not as tough as in Europe and training stints like this might be one way to fill the void.
Charles Kazlauskas scored his fifth goal of the season in Helmond Sport’s 3-0 victory over Telstar today. You can check out highlights here (1:15 mark). It also looks like he set up the first goal of the game.
I mentioned yesterday how Matt Pyzdrowski and Angelholms FF defeated Syrianska FC in the first leg of the Allsvenskan promotion playoffs. You can find highlights from that match here.
According to Stuttgarter Kickers’ website, German-American fullback Royal-Dominique Fennell has been called into the US’ U-23 camp next month. And Brian Sciaretta told me on twitter that he is hearing that Terrence Boyd, Jared Jeffrey and Cody Cropper have also been called into the U-23/U-20 camp.
And finally, 30-year-old goalkeeper Kellan Wilson is headed back to the US after playing with Finnish side HIFK this past season.